Carronade The Yankee Sailor Carronade

The Sea is a choosy mistress. She takes the men that come to her and weighs them and measures them. The ones she adores, she keeps; the ones she hates, she destroys. The rest she casts back to land. I count myself among the adored, for I am Her willing Captive.

FLASH TRAFFIC:
I've relocated to a new Yankee Sailor.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

A Must Read on Military Life

Air Force Family has a classic post on one of the most painful experiences of military life: the commissary. A couple of snips to whet your appetite:

Yes, that's right. I said it. Of all the evil places one has to contend with on a military base with any regularity, the commissary is the Mordor of the Air Force Middle Earth.
...
And the worst thing is that you simply cannot spend less than an hour in the commissary at a time. Try it - go in for "just some milk." Dodge the elderly weaving down the center of the aisle at top speed in their motorized carts. Try to get past the women hobbling in stilletto boots. Avoid collisions with the "car carts" that have two kids in the driver's seat, one kid in the basket seat, and two walking along next to their pregnant mother (oh my goodness, I just described myself!).

Read on.