Carronade The Yankee Sailor Carronade

The Sea is a choosy mistress. She takes the men that come to her and weighs them and measures them. The ones she adores, she keeps; the ones she hates, she destroys. The rest she casts back to land. I count myself among the adored, for I am Her willing Captive.

FLASH TRAFFIC:
I've relocated to a new Yankee Sailor.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

The Yankee Sailor's Creed

Digging back in my draft locker during a recent slow news day, I came across a link to this post on the Sailor's Creed controversy from Lex. I am not all that fond of the official Sailor's Creed handed down from on high, for a couple of reasons. First, here's the official version:

I am a United States Sailor.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America, and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me.

I represent the fighting spirit of the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.

I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with honor, courage and commitment.

I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.
Issue one is semantics. I don't think of myself as serving "my country's Navy combat team", I serve the country, and am part of the combat team. When I take a look at the left pocket of my uniform, there's still a "U.S." embroidered before "Navy." Country first, Navy second, as it should be. Next, as for that part about being committed to the fair treatment of all, I certainly am, but I'm not inspired to recite it. And finally, in general, the whole thing smacks of something that was generated by bureaucrats for an organizational purpose. Ick.

The Marine's Creed, for those of you that don't know, came about from the groud up rather than being handed down from on high. It was a "this is what we believe" consensus, rather than a "this is what you shall believe" edict. And to this Sailor, what I choose to believe resonates more than what I'm told to believe.

So, you're asking, "what do you believe, Sailor?" I like what a young Lieutenant forward deployed aboard a warship in the days following September 11th wrote on SWONET (with a mod or two):

I am an American Sailor, and a Warrior First. I Fight under the Red, White and Blue of my Fathers and descend from John Paul Jones and Oliver Hazard Perry. In my ears rings "I have not yet begun to fight" and "don't give up the ship", and in my veins flows Fire and Gunpowder. I will master my profession and demand that my fellow Sailors master theirs. I will follow when lead, and Lead when able. I will place nothing above the welfare of my fellow Sailors, save my Mission, and no matter what my ship, squadron, station or watch, I will help deliver Defeat to the Enemy. In this I will not fail. With Honor in my Head, Courage in my Heart, and Commitment in my Hands, I will be a Warrior first, until Victory is in hand and Liberty is secure.
This I believe.

Open posted in Mudville.